Friday, May 29, 2009

New Religions

It is really interesting to me that there can be so many new religions created. I feel like there is a lot that can be lost in translation when religions are changed or modified. It seems like the main religions, Islam, Christianity, and Judaism. Have there own variations. There are also translations of there own bibles or holy books that are changed. 
It is hard for me to see where the line is drawn between man made creation and a true religion that was created by God. The line seems to be blurred. How many people are actually sent by God to spread a new word. 
Also I feel like religion is a strong and dangerous tool that people can use. There are many people that died in the name of religion because they had a charismatic leader that told them God sent them. It is scary to me that so many new people accept these religions. I feel like it shows that the human race can be easily changed or manipulated. 

3 comments:

  1. To me it speaks to the time we're in - near Jesus' time there were several movements and "fresh ideas" that took time to settle down and get more in the mode of the religion that would govern the times. That process seems to take a few hundred years. One might think the communications technology would quicken the pace today but the breadth of the world is larger too and in all those channels of communication a wider diversity of thought to muddle through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe this gets to far into the philosophy of religion instead of a religious studies approach, but I don't think we can say there is one true religion. All term we have been talking about how religion functions in society so for different societies religions have to deal with different things thus they have different beliefs. I've written a post on this subject, and you may disagree with me but I see a lot of evidence for religion being man-made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe this is the beauty of religion. You can choose what you are going to believe,and who/what you are going to dedicate your life to. Religion gives people a sense of purpose and spiritual grounding.

    ReplyDelete