Thursday, May 14, 2009

God ok with rape?

I was outraged when I read Kebra Negast. I couldn’t believe that a follower of the Lord, King Solomon, was allowed to commit a crime and a sin. He basically committed rape, but it was ok because God allowed it. In the origin story King Solomon believed that because Queen Sheba had come from afar and was so beautiful that this had to be God giving him the opportunity to impregnate her. He cheated his way into sleeping with her. If it was God’s will for him to get the Queen pregnant then why did he have to trick her? He deliberately fed her food that would make her thirsty, and he also placed the water in a location that she would see. She did not take the water by force, but he took her by force. Since when is rape ok with God? But, for some reason this story is ok with everyone. It definitely doesn’t make sense to me.

3 comments:

  1. It is definitely an interesting point f view. There appears to be alot of this kind of thing in various religions (trickery to get something that we consider wrong). But, I think the author is attempting to make it seem as 'right' as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also trickery is an important motif in folklore.. and between the ring Solomon gives the Queen and then the trick at night, we seem to be in a world of folklore..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, very interesting point. I dont think this is neccesarily a rape situation from the Ethiopians point of view. I would imagine them maintaining pride after reading this story.I just get that vibe..

    ReplyDelete